The area surrounding Nafplion has been inhabited since ancient times . The town has been a stronghold at several times in history. The first of the visible fortification, on the Akronafplia, was built by the Byzantines. In 1377 the Venetians arrived and built the Castle of Bourtzi in the 15th century (the first picture below) . Shortly after, the city, along with the rest of the Morea, was captured by the Ottomans. The Venetians returned in 1685, and strengthened the city by building the castle of Palamidi (the two other pictures), which was in fact the last major construction of the Venetian empire overseas.